Thursday, August 25, 2011

Barbecued Chinese Chicken Lettuce Wraps

Ingredients:

2 cups mushrooms
Chicken breasts
2 tablespoons oil
Salt and pepper
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
Zest of one orange
1/2 red bell pepper, diced small
8 ounces water chestnuts (drained and chopped)
3 scallions, chopped
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1/2 large head iceberg lettuce, core removed, head quartered

Directions:

Cut chicken into small bite size pieces.
Add oil to skillet and heat up.
Cook the chicken in the oil.
Add mushrooms, salt, and pepper and cook for a minute or two.
Finely chop the garlic and ginger and add to skillet.
Zest the orange into the pan.
Dice the bell pepper into small bits and add to skillet.
Drain and chop water chestnuts and scallions and add to skillet.
Add hoisin sauce and toss to evenly coat the mixture.
Spoon mixture onto lettuce leaves and wrap up and enjoy

Verdict:

Another pretty time consuming meal. I researched how to zest, thought I could pull it off, but I think I need a little more practice with it.. it all seemed to stick to the grater. I also couldn't find scallions anywhere, so I just didn't use any of those. Hoisin sauce is asian bbq sauce and is found on the asian food aisle of the grocery store. Scott enjoyed this one more than I did. I wasn't very impressed with the meal though and probably wouldn't make it again, but Scott really enjoyed it, more than the pf chang's version he said, and he's going to ask for it to be made again. For some reason I think whenever I cook with ginger I don't end up enjoying the meal. Not that I don't like the ginger in it, but the smell when you are cutting it isn't my favorite.. This is a fun meal to kind of change up your every day dinners though to something a little different and out of the usual.  

Rating:
Ashley: 6 belches       Scott: 9 grunts       Payton: 10 wags

No comments:

Post a Comment